Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You Like Purple Flowers Too?

There are some big things going on in my world right now. Some of them are exciting and some are scary! Getting ready for the wedding reception and the honeymoon at the end of August, now that’s exciting. Starting back in school, that’s a little scary, but exciting too. My knee, however, is just scary.

Best as I can tell, my knee has just always been destined to be trouble. I’m a bit of a klutz. That’s heredity. Mom was on the clumsy side too. I read an article at Scrubs, which is a website especially geared towards registered nurses, but with lots of great content for patients and people interested in the nursing profession or just some free good advice! The article was titled “How Scrubs Eased The Pain.” It’s in the First Person stories, where people write in their own stories about nursing and nurses. It’s by a Mom telling about her 9-year-old daughter’s experience in the hospital with a nurse in cheery purple floral scrubs that started a favorite color and favorite flower conversation that eased the emotional pain of a sprained ankle.

Sprained ankle. My first one was when I was 11. I had mistimed a ballet leap while choreographing a number I was going to do for the 6th grade talent show. Needless to say, I didn’t end up in the show. In the 30+ years since then, there have been a couple other sprains and a broken toe, but now the falls on my knees seem to be catching up with me! Last week, when David and I were on the various trains to get us from Providence, Rhode Island to Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, we got off on the outside platform of a subway train that was posted, after leaving the train, that the elevators were on the middle platform. Groan! My gimp knee and I started up the stairs. I always use the mantra “What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger,” when pushing my knee a little farther. I end up sore and have to take an hour or so break before I can really walk around again, but I manage. But this time, I didn’t heal back up so much. I’m facing the fact that knee surgery might be in the future, possibly the near future!

I haven’t visited the doctor on my PPO in the less than half year I’ve had it yet and he’s not accepting new patients right now, so I had to choose a new doctor. In about a week, I’ll have the new card with my new doctor and make my first appointment. Part of me is excited about the thought that I’ll be able to walk without pain again, but that’s my Coveyish always having the end goal in mind. One thing that I know, that I can picture after reading at Scrubs, is that during the wait while I sit in an exam room alone preparing for strangers to visit, ask personal questions and probe areas that are in pain, I’ll be shaking inside of my optimistic exterior nervous! The first person I’ll see, the first stranger I’ll meet for a one on one talk, is the nurse. That nurse will be my first impression of the doctor, of his whole practice.

I’ve read some first hand accounts, questions and concerns from RNs. Looking at the site and really seeing health professionals in the “real person” sense, eases some of those nerves too. Yeah, knowing I’m a big baby when it comes to the doctor and knowing where to do my homework really does help!

There is an article with tips for nurses to answer questions about swine flu. By the way, patients have the same access to the answers too, the site is for and about nurses and anyone interested! I read a question and answer article about praying with patients and a short from a man who when asked what it was like to be a “male nurse,” replied, "The 'male' part I've got down—it’s the 'nurse' part that takes a lot of hard work!" Of course, genderism exists both ways. A nurse is a nurse, regardless of gender!

One last thing I’ll mention about this great site is that as I’m pursuing my certification in computer networking, there is also one other profession with jobs actually on the rise, healthcare. There is a demand for good nurses, even in this shaky economy. If you’re even considering a career in or career change to nursing, it’s a good place to get a feel for the personalities and practicalities that make up this important profession.

Okay, I think I’m ready to sit in that exam room and tell a stranger about my knee. When the nurse comes in to get my vitals and information for the doctor, he or she doesn’t have to be wearing bright blue scrubs with trains and baseballs on them...but boy, would that be cool!

Post?slot_id=38656&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: