Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Davinities Bakery is Closed


Crostada Due

With 2-1/2 dozen Chocolate Chunk Hazelnut cookies and 6 crostadas yesterday, the baking is done. I did all 6 crostadas as “Crostada Due” (pronounced /DOO-ay/) Due is Italian for the number 2. Each crostada has 2 flavors of jam, including two Simply Fruit crostadas that are black cherry-apricot.

The last of David’s gifts got here today and I can’t wait for him to open them. They are TOO COOL! I’ll post pictures some time after Christmas. I regret that I couldn’t link up the place for shopping, but they are backordered on almost everything, so I didn’t hurt their business. We all have other gift-giving occasions that a link later will still be handy!


While we’re talking about gift, I want to give Edna a warm thank you at The Chronicles of Nani! Edna sent the sweetest steam train salt and pepper shakers and one of her calendars. The salt and pepper shakers are from Ludington, Michigan, they say so on top.


Thank you, Edna!

I never thought I’d get one of the calendars Edna was talking about on her blog. I don’t hide the fact that I love her photography. She does incredible wildlife and nature photos and her signature shot is catching the rain or dewdrops on flowers, just stunning work!


Vintage Thingie Thursday

Time to make Krisp Kringles again!

I have a couple of kitchen items today. Now these are “in my lifetime” and I’m not quite vintage yet, but they are appropriate for the last Vintage Thingy Thursday before Christmas.





First is this Christmas tray. It’s from the late 70’s. I remember that we got a few trays like this just after we moved to Northville.

The second item is actually just a tad older than me.



The double boiler is part of the pots and pans set my parents received as a wedding gift. It’s also the double boiler that melted the peanut butter and butterscotch for the very first Davinity in 1973, when I was 7. In the recipe book, they were then called Scotch Krispies. They got their renaming at the same time I created the first Davinities logo, in my early 20s.



When Mom got her first set of non-stick pots, in the 80s some time, she was going to get rid of the double boiler. It had that dent in it then and the new pans had a double boiler. I asked her if I could have the old double boiler. It was the double boiler I always made Dad’s candy in. The double boiler had a spot in the pantry and from then on came out only once a year to make Krisp Kringles. It lives in the back of our pots and pans cupboard under the range now and it still makes the candies I made for Pop, the very first Davinity. When the doubleboiler comes out, Christmas season is official!


See more cool vintage treasures at Colorado Lady’s Vintage Thingie Thursday



Wishing everyone a very happy holiday season and A Merry Christmas to everyone who will be celebrating with me this weekend.

4 comments:

LV said...

I love those train salt and pepper shakers. I would love having some of the goodies you are preparing.

Marti said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Edna B said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I'm blushing! (but happy!) I'm thrilled that you like my calendar. I pick my favorite photos from the current year to use on it. Enjoy!

I remember the old pan sets with the double boiler like the one in your photo. I too have a favorite pan. It's the one I cook my pasta in. There are so many dings and dents all over it but I love that old pan.

Nani, I hope Santa is good to you. I put in a good word when I spoke with him recently.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.
Hugs, Edna and Tootsie B.

Edna B said...

It's Christmas eve day, and tootsie and I send Holiday wishes and licks to you and David and the kitties. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hugs, Edna & Tootsie B.