Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Just One?

I’m not going to keep making a big deal about having done every day in this challenge so far because I probably won’t do all of them and just in case, I don’t want to jinx it. So, here is day 4 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge hosted at So, Funny Story ...

Today’s prompt:

Favorite book

I told ya yesterday this was going to be hard! Since getting my first e-reader in 2010, I’ve become a voracious reader. I’ve said before that I’ve always loved reading but I have a form of dyslexia, actually it’s a very commonly undiagnosed dyslexia, that make reading a book difficult. Oh, I can read just fine, but I read slow and have to really work to see the page correctly. You see, when I open a book, I see a white page with a black blur over it, always have. I make my eyes focus on the text in front of the white. I never thought that was weird. But I guess everyone else sees what I see when I turn on my e-reader; words! The gray background is pale enough that my eyes aren’t drawn to it like they are the brighter paper of a paperback.

So, thanks to the wonder that is now my Nook, I can relax when I read and even read some in the car! AMAZING! So for the past almost three years, I’ve read a LOT. I read some other styles too, but my reading passion is crime/detective/serial killer dramas. Give me a little crime to solve and a competent sleuth and I’m happy. I also love any book that make you go “I wonder…” This year I’m writing a short review about every book I read, so you can click the book review tag and see everything I’ve read in 2013.

So rather than picking one favorite book, I’ll mention my favorite authors.

I’d say my favorite current author is Alan Jacobson. He writes great crime novels that have included serial killers, shooting down the Vice President’s plane and an ending to his first book that I personally favorably compare to 1984 in the category of hair on the back of my neck standing up with goose bumps.

My other current favorite is Austin S. Camacho, writer of the Hannibal Jones series. Hannibal is a sexy man. He just is. He’s strong and intelligent and fights for justice, even if that means fighting against his client. And he’s a coffee snob. How could I not love a coffee snob?

My first favorite author was the late Douglas Adams, writer of The Hitchhiker’s Guile to The Galaxy and the other four books in the trilogy. Five books in the trilogy is just the start of what makes it great. These were highly recommended books by my high school broadcasting teacher, which meant that every geek in our high school read them. The books are totally comic fiction but they are written in a way that makes you laugh but the stop and wonder , maybe, possibly, hmmm… I believe in the power of the mind and have often shaken my head pondering whether or not you really would float if you were distracted while falling. Can you “throw yourself at the ground and miss?” I love things that do and don’t make sense.

Finally while I’m talking about great authors, I highly recommend Rare Traits by David George Clarke. Rare Traits is his first book, but I loved it; loved it! I’m get his newsletters and have enjoyed reading some of the chapters from Rare Traits that hit the editing room floor while waiting for the final edit and publish of the next book. It’s not comedy like Adams and not crime, although there are some injustices to be thwarted, but it definitely makes you think. I love books like that and can’t wait to read the next one.


There are so many great books and great authors out there for every taste. Those are some of my top-rated. What about you? Favorite book? If you’re looking for more recommendations, check out the other bloggers in the 30 Day Blog Challenge!


3 comments:

Karen Greenberg said...

I love how technology has made reading enjoyable for so many people who were previously unable to fully enjoy the hobby!

seamhead gypsy said...

Ever read David Baldacci? I've read every novel he's put out. I usually have them for about two days after they're delivered from Amazon. I read 'em (sometimes in less than 24 hours) then donate 'em to our library.

Edna B said...

As a kid, I read anything and everything that had print on it. The library was like a piece of heaven. I continued to read a lot as the years went by, and never realized that I had a problem until I got into crossword puzzles and reading billboards while traveling. That' when I found that I was a bit dyslexic. Once I learned this, it no longer bothered me. I just had to learn to read things slower. When I was younger I would compensate for this problem rather quickly, but as I get much older it takes a bit more compensating. Like when I type. I am constantly re-typing to keep the letters in the correct order. However, it's really no big deal.

You have a beautiful day, hugs, Edna B.