Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Black Cat Appreciation Day!

Carla in 2009

According to Black Cats Are NOT Bad Luck on Facebook, today is officially worldwide Black Cat Appreciation Day. David and I both have pictures of Carla as our ID photos on Facebook today, replacing the ones of Kaline we had to celebrate her birthday last weekend. It amazes me how many people are still so backwards in intelligence that they still believe that a black cat is a bad omen. It breaks my heart that so many black cats are abused, even tortured, by people so mindless, so cruel. Carla is the sweetest, most cuddly cat you could imagine. Ritchie, my black cat in my teens, was just as loving and cuddling. I can’t imagine that anyone could ever cause any animal harm, but my experience with black cats is that they are loving and faithful than some dogs I’ve known.

Black cats are the least likely to be adopted in a shelter. If it’s not a no-kill shelter, that also mean they are the most often euthanized; killed for the color of their fur. How can anyone be so stupid in 2012 to believe or pay any sort of homage to ancient superstitions created by frightened simple-minded people?

This day was created to make people aware and celebrate the most affectionate and personable cats there are! Here’s to the feline black beauties everywhere!



Now, on to the Friday Memes!



This week’s statements:
1. I ___ so much __ in a day
2. I don’t like ____ but I love ___
3. When I watch_______ I ¬¬¬¬____
4. I have ________in my wallet.

My Answers:

1. I accomplish so much more in a day when I wake up early.

2. I don’t like cookie dough ice cream but I love cake batter ice cream!!

3. When I watch political ads on TV I feel scared and sad.

4. I have very little cash in my wallet. (on purpose)




1. What's the one thing you buy every time you walk into the store?

Salad. We prefer to use the bagged salad because it’s easier to serve while cooking something else. Trouble is it doesn’t keep well enough to buy in bulk so we pretty much always need another hag of salad.


2. If you had a day all to yourself how would you spend it?

Scrapbooking


3. Are you a speed limit driver? If not, over or under?

Depends on where I’m driving. If I’m on the freeway, it’s left lane all the way because I want to get to my destination and out of the car. I hate driving! If it’s surface streets, under the speed limit in stop and go traffic with less predictable other drivers.


4. What's your favorite dessert to make, homemade or from a mix??

The usual favorite planned dessert here is cake and ice cream. Sometimes the cake is homemade from scratch, sometimes for a box and sometimes we buy a cake at the store. I don’t make ice cream at home.


5. Would you rather have a spider or a mouse scurry across your face (no copping out and saying "neither!!")?

Not even a temptation to say “neither” here! If I can see the critter running across my face; “Here mousey, mousey!”




**  Yesterday morning when David, who is on the night shift this week, asked me if I wanted to go out and chase some trains with him in the morning, I was leaning to the side of “no.” But he tempted me with the Jersey Central Heritage Unit in the area and I caved to that temptation and went anyway. I’m so glad that I did! I got probably my best shot of a Heritage Unit “in the wild” yet!

Jersey Central in Wauseon, Ohio
August 16, 2012


**  I finally found the widget I wanted for my current book! I try to remain current with my reading on Good Reads and I’ve got several friends I share what I’m reading/have read with. It’s a good place to get recommendations for books too! I’m Nani_Reads at Good Reads. If you have an account there, feel free to add me to your reading network!


**  Sunday was Kaline’s 7th birthday. Birthday cake tie was somewhat of a lead balloon though. David opened the “cake,” Meow Mix tuna and crab Market Selects, and she wasn’t even interested! I was concerned that there was something wrong with it because she didn't even scratch the floor to mark the territory as “I’ll come back later, don’t touch.” She just wasn’t interested. She ate kibble and her crunchy treats on Sunday and Carla ate all the birthday cake. Kaline just didn’t seem to find the tuna and crab appealing. Her favorite is salmon and crab, so maybe she’s just being a snob. Azzie didn’t like tuna as a main flavor either. Her medicine came in tuna flavor and we had to order the chicken flavor for her. Maybe she taught her niece that snobbish tendency when Kaline was a kitten. So no tuna birthday cake for Kaline for number 8! We’ll stick with salmon and crab.


**  We’d planned on going on a fall vacation next week, but that plan changed and David is working so we’ll be staying home. No week of extra baseball and trains this year like we had last year. But on the bright side, there won’t be a hurricane and floods changing our trip plan either!


**  It’s officially Pumpkin Spice season because had my first pumpkin-something yesterday! I start craving Pumpkin Spice edibles about mid-August every year, but it’s usually the last week of August/beginning of September before I find anything Pumpkin Spice in coffee places, convenience stores or even donut shops. We stopped during railfanning yesterday because I wanted coffee. I hadn’t had breakfast op coffee yet and my fading energy really did want breakfast. We were thinking about making a stop for a sit-down breakfast and David was just getting me a coffee. When he went in to the gas station, I told him “16-ounce coffee with 2 creams, 2 Splenda, unless they have Pumpkin Spice cheat-a-ccino already!” He said, “Yeah right. 2 cream 2 Splenda.


He came back with a huge cup! I was wondering what part of 16 ounces he missed. He figured I’d want the big cup for my first Pumpkin Spice something of the year! Mmmm…..

10 comments:

Arlene said...

I always wake up early, otherwise it feels like I've wasted half the day. Same here with bagged salad, I buy a couple every week. It's easier than making the salad myself. Have a great weekend!

Jenny Fortner said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

I too would love to spend the day scrapbboking, but time and expense does not allow for it!

I love the photo of the train, my sons went wild with excitement when I showed them! Great photo!

Have a great weekend!

Vicki said...

I'd love to be a morning person, but I've been a night owl all my life. Even when in grade school!

We use bagged baby spinach. It's much better than lettuce for a salad. Tastes nothing like cooked spinach.

Here's My Answers

Hilary said...

early mornings are the best!!

Anonymous said...

i am getting two kittens soon, and one is black! then i will have to celebrate black cat appreciation day :)

Cheri said...

Oh, I'd love to spend a day scrapbooking; I haven't done that in years!

And in my young adult years I had the most beautiful black cat, Princess. Man, I loved her!

"GB" said...

My favorite is pumpkin anything. I make pumpkin bread year round. Everyone else thinks I am crazy, but is truly the best!

Keetha Broyles said...


I've had a spider go across my face - - - did not enjoy that experience.

I drive 4.9999 miles an hour OVER the speed limit.

Always LOVE your train shots.

Jennifer said...

I seriously dislike political ads.
I had no idea it was black cat day yesterday. I have a cat who is mostly black but has some white, I'm petting her with my feet right now. Happy day to her!

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

That sure is a pretty black cat. Of course, I love cats.
I am so behind on my scrapbooking!

http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/