Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day


I hope everyone in the USA is enjoying the finale of the long weekend. It the official start of summer and possibly one of the biggest grilling days of the year, but first and foremost, it’s a day we honor our fallen heroes. What started in this country as a day to remember those who died during the Civil; War, became a day to honor soldiers who’d died in all wars defending our country and those who’d passed that had fought and come home. My grandfather, his brothers and my great-great-uncle, youngest of the family and their contemporary, all served in World War 2.

There are three different kinds of heroes from the Vietnam War in the next generation. My father and uncle were not born in America and were not citizens during the Vietnam war. My Uncle served and my father wanted to but was not accepted because of a childhood injury. He was disappointed because he wanted to serve for his home. He became a Naturalized American in the early 70s. I consider them both heroes of that war because of the willingness to fight to protect their country, one in which they didn’t even have a vote.

The other hero was my mother. Mom had told me that she and Pop disagreed about that war and that if she didn’t have a family, she probably would have ended up in San Francisco or another gathering of protesters. Instead, she was home with her young children, listening to the protest songs on the radio and teaching about peace and that a non-violent approach is always best. She also taught about freedom and being able to disagree without hate.

I don’t really have an opinion on those views or how they fit with the times. What I do know is this: The men and women who serve to defend our interests, serve to defend our freedom, our government which is by the people and for the people. They fight for our rights, which include the right to disagree with the government and be vocal without fear of retribution. If we are violent, even just disrespectful, to our own citizens who voice disagreement, we are disrespecting the very men and women we honor today. Think of that as we enter into this election season. Violence, disrespect and name-calling have no place in debate. Honor our heroes today, but don’t dishonor them by attempting to block safe exercise of those rights. Every opinion is American because being American is being able to have a difference of opinion. Your right is not to bully anyone into agreeing with you. Our right, our responsibility, is to speak up when we think something is wrong and to do so peacefully, acting on and voting our own informed conscience.

Enjoy the barbecue, but remember what this day is all about and honor them every day.

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Remembering those who gave their lives for us. Hope your weekend has been beautiful.

Edna B said...

Keep waving that flag! I'm right up there on that band box with you!! We owe so much to so many. Sad to say, there are just too many disrespectful people living here. I've never understood why, if they are so unhappy with our ways, that they just don't go someplace else. I think God, prayer, our flag and respect for our country all belong back in the schools, public buildings, and anyplace else they used to be.

Hope your weekend has been fabulous, hugs, Edna B.

Edna B said...

The think I dislike most about shopping is not being able to reach everything. The top shelf is a bit too high for me. Sometimes I get lucky though, and a nice shopper will get something down for me. Obviously, I'm not so good at changing any of the ceiling light bulbs either.

As for which to choose, the ability to function or the ability to remember, that's a toughy. I have to say though, there's not much point in being able to do things if you don't know what you're doing or why.

Hmmm, food for thought. You have a great night, hugs, Edna B.