Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Two-Cup Morning

I woke up too early this morning and it's gloomy and rainy.  Bring on the coffee!


1. April showers bring May flowers...what have you been showered with this month?

Well actually lately we’ve been showered with rain, just like the saying goes!


2. What is the nature of compassion? Is it learned or innate? Can compassion be learned? If you're a parent is this something you've purposely sought to instill in your children, and if so how?

I think children are naturally compassionate; they want everyone to be happy and they want to understand when they aren’t. I’ve had a toddler pat my arm and give a hug because I was crying. They don’t understand happy tears or movie tears, but they understand tears and they try to give comfort.

There have been studies done involving race and sex with babies/toddlers. In one study group they all wore the same gender non-specific clothes. Without the visual identifiers; adults dressing them as :cute little girls” and “rugged little boys,” they treated each other as equals and broke into play groups based on the toys they were interested in which included boys who were attracted to the dolls and girls who wanted to play with the trucks. (I took some fun electives when I finished my degree) In other studies involving race relations, babies and toddlers of different races, features and skin tones who perceived there was no adult supervision played and again broke into playgroups based on interests and not physical traits. It’s even been my own experience that as someone in a wheelchair children in the ages range of about 6-10 are more likely to ask if they can hold a door for me than an adult. If compassion and equality can be learned, we need to pay closer attention to what our kids are teaching because the better qualities of mankind they are born with and we conform it out of them.


3. Do you prefer to watch romantic comedy or romantic drama...or are you rolling your eyes saying bring on the action flicks?

I don’t watch movies too often, but I enjoy sports movies like Bull Durham, movies based on comic books like The Punisher or 1940s black and white romantic comedies like His Girl Friday.


4. It's April which means baseball season is officially upon us here in the US of A. Humphrey Bogart is quoted as saying "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." Agree or Disagree?

Hmm, let’s see…. I don’t like steak but I love snouts and tails hot-dogs. I love baseball and don’t like dressing up. Yep, I’d say I totally agree with the quote! My favorite comment that I make about baseball is “A bad day at the ball park is better than a good day almost anywhere.”


5. What's something in your community or city that needs fixing or improving?

We need more police. I think it’s stupid to make cuts in vital services for the health and well-being of the residents of city. I’d love it if we had enough police to actually ticket or arrest the 3AM motorcycle racers that wake up our neighborhood, but we barely have enough to scrape up their remains when they crash.


6. Share a song you enjoy that mentions flowers or a specific flower in its title.

Desert Rose by Sting.


7. April 22nd is Earth Day...do you believe there's life on other planets? That wasn't the question you were expecting was it?

Sure. It may not be life in the form that we think of it, but I think it makes sense that other planets developed the same way the earth did.

In a spiritual sense, I can’t believe that God is so small that He made all those planets and only put life on one. That’s just our human egos that believe that.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

I woke up at 3:30 this morning. I’m not so sure my thought can keep up with my random, so I owe ya! :)

10 comments:

Joyce said...

Your answer to the compassion question reminded me of something my daughter said in 2nd grade. She was telling me about something funny that happened in school and was describing a boy in her class. She couldn't remember his name so gave me all these descriptors like height, hair color, and who he sat next to. Finally I realized who she was talking about and I said is he African American? There was only one African American student in her class so to me that would have been the obvious thing to say, but it really hadn't registered with her. Definitely made me think!

April said...

I think just about every small town could use a larger police force...ours is certainly no exception. I hate when I wake up so early in the morning...then can't go back to sleep no matter how hard I try! Hope you end up having a restful day, after all!

Hootin Anni said...

Love the quote about baseball and hot dogs. Perfect!

retired not tired said...

I love the movie "Bull Durham" as well as "Field of Dreams"

Mary said...

I like that people are coming up with different songs that have flowers in them! I haven't seen very many "repeats" yet!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your answer to #4 :)

Edna B said...

Children are born with compassion. They have no bias, and they get along with everyone. UNTIL the adults get done teaching them all the bad ways.

I grew up in an "all boy neighborhood, and played all the "boy" sports. I also enjoyed all the "girlie" things in life.

My grandchildren and great grandchildren are a melting pot of mixed backgrounds and they all look the same to me. Beautiful!!

I would like to think that there is certainly life on another planet. After all, where do all these space aliens come from?

Nani, you have a wonderful day. Hugs, Edna B.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

GReat answer on compassion and the ballpark! Hope you were able to catch a nap today because you are bound to need one if you didn't go back to sleep when you awoke at 3:30AM. Happy rest of the week!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So your flowers should be awesome in May! Actually there have been some excellent sports movies that I have enjoyed. I agree with you on some form of life on other planets.

Kara said...

That's a great answer for #2! Those studies sound interesting. Thanks for sharing!

And yay for baseball! I'm a fan too. :)