Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

You Mean It’s Not Tuesday?

Today’s title is for Edna. I left a comment at Miss Edna’s Place saying I thought I’d be back blogging on a regular basis Tuesday. Well, Tuesday was a busy day for me, with the holiday tomorrow I lose at least a day of phone calls and such. Yesterday was a day of leaving voice mails that included “I’m not sure what your holiday schedule is like, but if you could call back tomorrow or Monday…” Lucky for me, every call I made was returned yesterday and I have half of next week full of appointments! This afternoon I’ll be trying to get weekend baseball tickets and scheduling several busses for next week. So this is my “Tuesday Take 2” or Tuesday continued. With the Independence Day holiday tomorrow the days this week are a mish-mosh anyway.

There was no Monday Quiz About Me this week because our Canadian native hosts are visiting family in Canada and Monday was Canada Day! I hope everyone in Canada and Border States celebrated a great day. I include the Border States because of my own childhood as a border baby. I was born closer to Canada than Ohio and in Metro Detroit when I was growing up the entire week surrounding Canada Day on July 1 and Independence Day on July 4 was “freedom Week,” punctuated by the Detroit/Windsor Freedom Festival which included the huge fireworks display set off from a barge in the Detroit River. If you couldn’t or didn’t want to battle the traffic and crowds downtown, the fireworks display was always on TV. To me, Canada Day and Independence Day have always been a joined holiday and there has never been a question that if I wasn’t born American, Canadian is the only other nationality I could possibly want to be. Yeah, even though I’m proud of my dual citizenship and Sammarinese heritage, if I was picking of all the nations of the world to define my dual citizenship, I’d choose to be American-Canadian. I even know more French than Italian.

Now before I find myself editing because my intro addresses a Hodge Podge question (I copied and pasted but haven’t read the questions yet) I’ll get on to the Wednesday Hodge Podge!


1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list?

I think my new pleasure I want to indulge in this summer is getting out with the new powerchair. I can actually get out for fun without any increased fatigue from wheeling myself. I think maybe I’d like to treat myself to lunch at Panera Bread, where I can sit at an outside table with my Nook and a bowl of gazpacho with a salad; just me and just because. I miss doing that.


2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions regarding the immigration debate in your home country? Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice.

As a First Generation American I’ve always had very strong opinions about illegal vs. legal aliens in our country. My opinions have softened a little lately. There are so many other things wrong with this country and so many stupid things our government argues about to avoid real issues, I’m for a little amnesty to get it all done with and make our government go back to the old days when they served us. I still don’t want anyone who isn’t a citizen to vote.

But for illegals, and I don’t have a problem defining someone who is here illegally by their crime, it’s not “people who are not here legally” to me, but illegals who have been here and working for a very long time and haven’t broken any other laws should be given an opportunity to become legal aliens and pursue citizenship. We let the problem become too big to just fix it with anything absolute and I’d much rather see our government work on real issues instead of where someone’s parents were born and what religion should rule the formerly free and oppressed by religion again land. (Personal opinion, if your title isn’t Mr. or Ms. you don’t belong in government or talking about it to groups.)

I say let’s work on what the government can do to stimulate the economy, fix the medical crisis without spending all their time arguing about the band-aid and better ways to be safe but still free.


3. What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'?

Um… The All Star Game on TV? ;)


4. Is your house set up for a party?

Absolutely not! We have one party at Christmastime and that would be a small party by many standards. Neither one of us likes big parties and I don’t ever see us even wanting to host one.


5. What one never-before-visited city in America, would you most like to see?

I want to visit San Antonio (by way of Luling, Texas to see and photograph the watermelon water tower.)


6. Your favorite red food? White food? Blue food?

These are my favorites right now. They could be different as soon as tonight.

Favorite red food: gazpacho
Favorite White food: Baseball Nut ice cream (vanilla base with cashews and swirl of raspberry) or vanilla Greek yogurt
Favorite Blue food: Blue (food coloring)buttercream frosting…I guess you could put it on a cake, but a spoon is fine too


7. What freedom do you value the most, and why?

Speech. I value to right to disagree with my government and I greatly value my responsibility to call my country out when I think it’s wrong. Being a patriot is more than waving a flag; sometimes it’s putting that flag down and demanding the country restore itself.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

The thing about random thoughts is that I usually get out a lot of randomness in my intro and anything else is addressed in my answers to the questions, so I’m not feeling so random by the last of the Hedge Podge.

I’ll wish everyone celebrating this week to enjoy your countries’ holidays safely but with vigor.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have an aunt who grew up in Windsor, Ont and I grew up in a border city too, Buffalo, NY so I also feel very affectionate toward Canada.
Hope you enjoy the holiday.

Theresa said...

That ice cream sounds delish and so is Greek vanilla yogurt!
I am glad to hear your powerchair is working out so well. Panera Bread is a good choice :)

Nikki said...

oh duh the MLB all star game! Why didnt i think of that? I was probably bitter about my Giants being no-hit last night. ;/ I hope you have a great 4th!! My grandmother was born in Canada :)

Mary said...

You have some valid points on the immigration issue.
It must be nice for you to feel some freedom to be able to get around better!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So glad you love your new power chair. That ice cream sounds yummy. Happy 4th of July to you!

retired not tired said...

Happy 4th of July! We Canadians had a beautiful July 1st.

Unknown said...

Yum, buttercream frosting, with a spoon please. Enjoy your 4th!

Empty Nester said...

Buttercream icing on a spoon? YES please! And keep it coming. LOL Our house is small but open enough to have parties. And I love to host gatherings- large or small. It's amazing how many we can pack in here at our annual Christmas oyster roasts. Maybe that's because it's not just inside.

Edna B said...

I have a lot of thoughts about the illegal immigrants, but I'll not go into that right now. As for the government, I agree that they should get off their duffs and focus on fixing what's wrong in our country.

I'm so glad that you are getting out and about in your new chair. It certainly helps to make your days so much more enjoyable.

I had to chuckle at your opening line. That's okay Nani. I sat down Friday morning to type my post only to find that the folks next door did not pay their internet bill and the cable company had shut off their service. So much for my blog!!!
You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.