Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review: Switched (Trylle #1) by Amanda Hocking



Book synopsis from Good Reads

Switched (Trylle #1) by Amanda Hocking

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.


My Review on Good Reads

4 of 5 stars

When I got to the end my reaction was "What? Huh? No!" I mean it ended like the end of the chapter with SO much more to tell... which is why it's just book one, right?

This was a little bit of a change in styles for me. It was a book club selection and a nice change of pace into a young adult fantasy book. The main teen-young adult characters are well-developed and the relationships believable in a young-adult fantasy way.

Accepting the fantasy part, babies from a monarchy society of trolls are switched at birth with children from wealthy human families to be tracked down and reclaimed as young adults and integrated into the troll society. The main character in this first-person book is Wendy, a “changeling” raised in a less than ideal human life. She was switched for a human male and her mother “knew” that she wasn’t her child, insisting it to the point of attempting to murder her on her 6th birthday. The human mother is locked away in a mental ward and Wendy was raised by her older brother and aunt. Except that they aren’t really related…

At 17, Wendy is found and brought back by a member of the Trylle tribe named Finn. Finn is a “tracker,” a class of the Trylle who is responsible for finding changelings and bringing them back to their blood families. A love interest develops between Wendy and the tracker who was sent to bring her home. The problem is that the trackers are a lower class than Trylle royalty. Wendy’s real mother is the queen.

There are interesting statements about class division and the pomp and circumstance of royalty and it was just a fun read. And yes, I will read the other books in this trilogy. It definitely left me caring and wanting to know the rest of the story.


Follow Nani on Good Reads!

No comments: