Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Book Review: Keepsake Crimes by Laura Childs


Book synopsis at Good Reads

New Orleans scrapbooking shop owner Carmela Bertrand delights her customers with the sophisticated looks she achieves with their scrapbooks. But among her client's keepsakes she finds a tip of her own-about a murder...


My review at Good Reads

3 out of 5 stars

This was a cute mystery; light reading with a little action and an entertaining setting in New Orleans during Mardi Gras with most of the character development told in the main character’s scrapbooking shop.

I liked the book. I haven’t decided if I like it enough to read the other books in the series. It was a sweet read, but it’s a little more fluff than I want a steady diet of in my books

As a scrapbooker, Carmela, the main character, is just a little bit too much of a “miracle crafter.” While she’s handles the business of owning the shop, she also does freelance craftwork and teaches techniques. She never makes a mistake with her crafts and always seems to amaze the people closest to her with the perfect things she whips up. If there had been a shop like hers in my paper scrapping days I’d have just lived there, but I didn’t read any evidence her shop could possibly sustain itself when the sole proprietor has so much time on her hands.

Like I said, it was light reading, but the imagery was pretty and the characters cute and the plot was not really predictable, although in the end it was a little trite. It was still a good relax and escape book.

No comments: