Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's That In The Hodge Podge, A Head??

Where are the other 174 heads??

I’ve received a few comments here, email and even on Facebook to the original post of my “funny sign.” That it doesn't make sense. Okay, why Nani, and David, were in stitches after seeing this sign.

Years ago there was a skit on The Benny Hill Show. A hired-for-her-looks actress was doing an initial reading for a movie. The line was “What’s that in the road ahead?” She read it as “What’s that in the road.” Stopped an turned to the camera, “a head?”

The skit went on with the actress and director debating whether or not she read the line correctly. The English language can be so much fun. When David and I travel we see the “Stop ahead” signs often and when we do, one of us exclaims “STOP!” The other says “A head!” and we both scream in mock horror. When we saw that sign, David yelled “STOP”, I announced “A head!” and he said “and 350 feet!” We both screamed, asked where the rest of the heads were and broke into giggle fits. A head and 350 feet leaves 348 feet without heads.

I hope that the next time any of you see a stop ahead sign, you get a good chuckle now! :)


Let’s just get on with THIS week’s Hodge Podge with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond!


1. April 15th is the deadline for Americans to file their state and federal income tax returns. What's a job you do on a regular basis that could be described as 'taxing'?

Filling the weekly pill sorter.


2. I'm participating in the April A-Z blog challenge, and the Hodgepodge happens to fall on Day O this week. In keeping with that theme...olives, onions, oysters, okra...of the foods mentioned, what's your favorite O food?

We went to the grocery store Monday and I got both green and Kalamata olives.


3. What is something memorable you experienced as a child that your own children (or future children/nieces/nephews) will not get to experience?

Man walking on the moon for the first time. It’s one of my earliest memories. When, as an adult, I told my mom I remembered it, she didn’t believe me at first until I told her where I was and recalled being told to stand farther away from the TV because I was right in front of it and touching the screen. Mom was shocked because I remembered correctly. We were at a baby shower. The adults were downstairs at the party and the kids were up in the den playing. When the landing was on TV, some of the adults came up to watch it and I was touching the screen and scolded to move away. The giant leap for mankind was 9 days before my third birthday. The event really was that huge in my very young mind.

I do remember that I touched the screen because I wanted to touch the moon.

Future generations may experience something that huge when man walks on Mars the first time, but it still won’t be the first steps on something that’s not earth.


4. Term limits for our elected officials...your thoughts?

I don’t know that it really makes a difference; politicians are there for their party, not for America or Americans. I think maybe Shakespeare was a little off on the group for one famous quote. Lawyers are fine as long as they don’t run for office.


5. On April 18th, 1775, Paul Revere made his famous 'midnight ride'...when did you last make a midnight ride? Perhaps the fate of a nation wasn't hanging in the balance, but tell us where you were headed anyway.


My last midnight ride was last summer when David, Mike and I went to Spencer, NC for the Norfolk Southern Heritage Unit Festival at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. We rode through the night and car-camped by the tracks when we got there. No wars were started as a result, but it was cool two days and seeing ALL the Heritage Units was totally worth it.


6. What would freak you out more...a mouse running across your floor or a big fat hairy spider?

Why do blog memes have to always ask THAT choice? I have a better question: What would freak you out more… a mouse running across your floor or a huge cockroach on your kitchen counter?

Ceiling check: clear


7. I love it when people ask me before helping me. It’s not as bad now that I use the wheelchair when I’m out, but when I was using the walker and still driving people trying to be helpful would almost knock me down. If someone with a walker is opening a door and slowly going through it, don’t ever grab the door to open it for them! Ask if you can help first. They may be using the door to balance when they only have one hand on the walker and grabbing the door from them may send them and the walker flying down.

But do ask; given a moment to put two hands on the walker and rebalance, it’s a lot easier to get through an open door! (This is all true for someone with a cane too!)


8. Insert your own random thought here.

I gave some serious thought to doing the A-Z challenge this year but there are SO MANY blogs participating! I try to visit at least 7 other blogs from the memes I* do and some days that’s a challenge. I could never visit enough to call it a respectable percentage of over 1000! Maybe I’ll try it next year without linking up.

I want to thank everyone who read yesterday’s post, 52 topix, Week 13 – Age. So far I’m enjoying my Project 52 challenge this year! Week 15 started yesterday and in the next day or so I’ll be doing the layout for last week. I post the essay part some time soon.

8 comments:

Joyce said...

I don't have a firm rule about visting, other than the HP where I try my best to get to all of them before a new one rolls around. With the A-Z I visit back anyone who visits me, read all my regular blogs who are also participating, and then try to read two or three new every day. I'll need a rest when April is over : ) I think it's okay to participate to the level you're able...I definitely visit the poster above and below me, and anyone who visits me.

April said...

I thought about participating in the Blog A-Z Challenge this time around, but it just overwhelmed me. I didn't think I could stick to it.

Anonymous said...

i still haven't finished by A-Z posts from last year.

and cockroaches are by far the worst!!

Conny said...

NOW I GET IT!!!!!!!!!! I saw that STOP joke picture floating around facebook too - and DID NOT GET IT. Thank you for letting me in on the joke!!!
Kind of reminds me of the Farside "Dip in the Road" with the nerdy kids standing in the road....

Thanks for the advice from the other side of the wheelchair/walker/cane ... I do hope I try to ask - because having known several people who deal with special needs, I have learned sometimes they need/want help, but sometimes they can and should do for themselves.

Edna B said...

Thanks for explaining the sign for me. Now I get it!!

I like olives too. Both black and green. I also like some onion on my hamburg.

When I was a kid, we still had a lot of cobble stone streets, my grandpa had a horse and buggy, World War II ended, a dial was invented for the telephone, automatic elevator stops was invented (by the Mrs' dad), TV was invented, battery operated portable radios were invented, ceiling lights were encased in glass covers instead of hanging down from a wire, candy cost a penny, ciggs were a few pennies more, and admission to the movies was an old aluminum pot or pan. I could go on. These are all such wonderful memories that my children and their children will never get to live through.

Pogo and I are off to bed now. You have a fabulous night. Hugs, Edna B.

LynnMarie said...

Thank you for the advice about helping those is wheelchairs/walkers. I will make sure to ask before I grab a door handle and open it. Yes watching the first steps on the moon was very exciting.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I need people to help me but it can be a danger at times...52 posts would be impossible for me. Good Luck with visiting other blogs, it is not easy

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yes those pill cases come around so quickly. I have three I fill and I can't believe it when three weeks has gone by!!! Thanks for the advice on asking first, good to know. I find it difficult to follow my friends when they do a daily challenge. I only post 3 days a week, sometimes 4, out of respect for those who follow me.