Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Book Review: Gray Skies by Brian Spangler

Finished February 18, 2014

Synopsis on Good Reads

Centuries ago something catastrophic happened. Historians claim it was an accident that spilled the clouds out of the sky, leaving humanity behind a relentless veil of gray.

For young Declan and Sammi, all they've ever known is a world of gray skies and dense fog. Now, at odds about the past and uncertain of their future, they're of age, and it's time to build their lives together.

Yet the coming of the End of Gray Skies has been declared. For a world shrouded in the mysterious fog, the promise to fix a centuries-old accident brings new hope that they might one day see and feel the warmth of the sun on their faces.

But questions begin to surface. Questions of whether there ever was an accident. Questions asking what really happened that changed the Earth and what will happen if their world once again sits under the sun.


My review on Good Reads
3.5 of 5 Stars

I’ve decided that I’m going to award the half star on my blog even if I can’t add it on Good Reads.

The books in the Gray Skies series are short. I didn’t realize that before I started reading the first book but I accept it now. The first Brian Spangler book I read didn’t impress me but after checking out his blog and finding that his reading passions are in supernatural and paranormal fiction I decided that I should give his writing a second chance by checking out a book he’s written that’s more in the style he reads. Writing in the genre you enjoy reading makes a big difference.

Gray Skies starts by explaining how the gray skies started. It doesn’t explain in scientific detail how the clouds formed or exactly what is in them but it does let the reader know that the phenomenon is man-made. My guess is there will be more explanation in further books. The characters do not reappear after chapter one but they are developed enough that the reader is emotionally invested with the main character.

The rest of the book takes place a few centuries later. The description and explanation of the world the main characters, Declan and Sammi, live in does a wonderful job of painting that world in the reader’s mind. The main characters are developed well and I felt myself attached to them. The supporting characters were not as fully developed and in the end one of those supporting characters became the main character of the final chapter. Still don’t understand why that character was important but the synopsis for Blinded By Sight, book 2, suggests that character becomes a bigger player.

Why I gave Gray Skies 3.5 stars was that it seemed too short. What I thought was the main story ended and the new story within the story was beginning and I expected it continue. I guess it will in book 2. Well I wish the main story has been longer I am certainly intrigued enough that I will be reading Blinded By Sight.

No comments: