Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!
Welcome to my cyber neighborhood coffee shop! Grab a mug of your favorite
beverage and a cozy chair to read and comment a bit. Be sure to try a piece of
black forest cake or the tiramisu. Try both; cyber-cake is calorie free!
If you were visiting from Worldwide Christmas Scrapbooking Freebies, follow the
hyperlinks for Digitalegacies Designs' mini kit Christmas Cocoa
and the add-on Christmas Cocoa Flowers.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
There's No Day Like Wednesday!
1. May is National Blood Pressure Month...what sends yours soaring, either literally or figuratively? What calms you down? When did you last have your bp checked?
Last month at my doctor’s office. It was perfectly normal for the first time in a year. Yay!
There are certain foods that are salty enough that I can feel my blood pressure on the rise. I generally choose the low sodium varieties of the things I like or greatly limit how much I ingest if that option isn’t there. The saddest thing about that is that I really feel it from V8 juice, which I love to drink for an afternoon snack in the summer. I drink the low sodium one at home with no problem, but if we’re out I have to pass unless I being my own. C-Stores just don’t ever carry the low sodium option.
Figuratively, the insurance company raises my blood pressure. Ironic since they are the ones who fund most of the bill for keeping it down.
2. You just found $1-what do you spend it on? How about 10$ 100?
When I was a child, maybe about 7 or 8, t was at the church we went to until I was 9, I found $5 in the church parking lot. Mom told me that since I found it I could do whatever I wanted with it. I put it in the collection plate figuring if it was in the church parking lot it belonged to the church.
If I see who dropped it I’ll call them back and return it, be it a dollar or a hundred. If I find a wallet, it will be returned with nothing missing that was in it when I found it. I always think about what it would mean to me if it was mine,
If I find money on the ground and there is no identification or any way of returning it, then I pocket it because you don’t walk into a room and ask if anyone has lost money. But I don’t immediately send it or make plans for it; I just put it in my wallet.
3. Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food has been proposed, but not enacted in the US. How much attention do you give food labels before you buy? Are you in favor of labeling if it means an increase in food prices? Is this an issue you've been following and feel strongly about, or is this the first you've heard of the controversy?
I do read the labels on food before I buy it. I especially read labels if they are on produce because fresh vegetables and fruits should only have one ingredient and if there is more I want to know why. I don’t want to pay more if the label tells me my apples contain apples.
As far as GE foods go, I don’t think it could be sold in the US if it wasn’t reasonably safe. I take enough medications now that I’m hardly in a position to complain if things are altered to make them more resistant to disease; so am I.
4. May 15th marks the birthdate of Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz. At this point in time, are you more in need of brains, courage, heart, or a trip back home? Explain.
I'm pretty good on brains and heart; I’ve had this confirmed by others. A trip back home for me is Dunkin Donuts in Novi, my old stomping grounds and people are either not here or in different places now, so there really is no “home” to go to and I do go to Dunkin very now and them when I’m in town. I think courage is the thing I could use the most. I’ll be trying to rejoin the workforce soon, a place I haven’t been in too many years. That is exciting and scary.
5. "There's no place like home" is an oft repeated line from Baum's book. When was the last time you felt the truth of that statement?
Home is more of a feeling for me now and I would say the last time I felt that was at the beginning of the month when Sheri and I did lunch and 42. I am “home” when I’m with family.
6. Steak...yes please or no thank you? What cut do you prefer and how do you like yours cooked? Sauce or no sauce? Besides your own kitchen, where's a place you like to go to get a great steak?
No thank you. If I have a burger I like it cooked “hockey puck.” Generally speaking I like all meat well-done. I’d rather have pork or chicken dry than the slightest bit pink. I generally like sauce or seasoning on all meat, except maybe ham.
7. When was the last time you were in a genuine hurry?
I take Lasix. In the morning there are about 2 hours when I’m always in a genuine hurry! LOL
8. Insert your own random thought here.
It’s been a busy week getting all the information and scheduling all the accessibilities we’re getting done with the house. I am looking forward to being able to get out and enjoy this summer without steps to warm up my air-conditionally frozen self!
The work necessary has put me a bit behind on some of my personal projects, namely that I’ve fallen behind on 52 topix. I’ve written week 18 and preparing to write week 10. Week 20 started yesterday. When the time is there I’ll backtrack and catch up the two weeks I missed. That’s the biggest slip I’ve had in my over scheduled world, but I don’t let myself stress too much.
When I’m working again I’ll have less time to play anyway and I hope I’ll have to get used to it sooner rather than later.